Brick is commonly perceived as being strong, heavy, and durable, which is accurate. However, this does not mean that it is invulnerable to damage. Many people who own brick properties don’t pay enough attention to it, and this is understandable to a degree, as good masonry work will easily last more than 20 years without needing repairs. Many property owners forget that brick is subject to wear just like everything else, and will eventually need to be fixed.
What Is Brick Repair?
Brick repair is the process and tools used to repair brick, mortar or masonry which has become damaged or worn. Your brick siding is the first line of defense against the elements and it will withstand the brunt of rain, snow, strong winds and debris. Over time the bricks may crack, or the mortar holding them together may loosen. This is when repairs are recommended.
When Do You Need Brick Repair in New Jersey?
- You detect interior problems: A buildup of moisture in the building’s interior, windows which become deformed or plaster damage are common signs that the masonry has become compromised and needs to be repaired.
- The masonry is cracked: Any cracks in the masonry should be a cause for concern. If the cracks are not tended to water can infiltrate the interior and then the cycle of freezing and thawing will cause even more damage which will require repairs that are even more costly in the future.
- There are problems with the chimney: Many houses in the northeast that are constructed with brick have a chimney, and if it begins deteriorating you have a serious problem on your hands. For one they would become a fire hazard, and a declining chimney can also release carbon monoxide, a gas which is invisible and odorless yet which can cause harm to those that inhale it.
- The mortar is falling apart or missing: Mortar is the material used to hold the bricks together, and while it is strong and durable, it will not last indefinitely. It is recommended to repoint the brick wall every twenty years or so, and if this is not done, the mortar could begin falling off, which over the long term would compromise the integrity of the structure.
- You detect water in the basement: When water enters the basement this means the walls are slowly crumbling and the entire foundation needs to be made waterproof.
Why Choose Affordable Home Services for NJ Brick Repair?
Brick is a heavy material that must be handled carefully. This is why it is recommended to hire a professional. Repairing brick, mortar and masonry in general is a time consuming process which is labor intensive and requires the attention of a specialist. Affordable Home Services is New Jersey’s most trusted contractor and those who do business with us will receive quality, no nonsense service. We work closely with our clients and only use the best materials and tools. Call (973) 473-4830 or email us at email@example.com to learn more about the services we provide.